Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Child Learns Personal Responsibility


I Was born with a hangover from the whiskey me mommie took for her pain
I was a little bit small since they both smoked but I smiled as I lay there
She had no milk for me and the formula played hell with my skin
Lay gurgling in my crib as the diesel fumes wafted in over me like a blanket

I cried all the time with gas and a stomach ache that they could not see
Her new boyfriend shook me almost hard enough that everyone could notice
Took in a lot of insecticides but still spent too much time playing with roaches
Got an untreated fever that brought pleasant visions and damage to my brain

Mice scampered over me sometimes after the big parties were over
Sat in their hot car with the windows cracked. Almost in the shade, by the tavern
Played on the dirty floor while they mixed and cooked the smelly meth all around me
Could not see the squiggles in their little books so they marked me down as slow

Loved those bologna and cheese slices with yellow mustard on soft white bread
Still think of my childhood when that peculiar smell of a WalMart overcomes me
Began to love jesus and was gently but firmly abused by the pastor in control
Appeared slightly palsied from the mercury in the tuna salad sandwiches

Daddy got out of jail when I was around 5 and he hugged me once and left again
I loved my mom despite her teeth falling out, the sores that never healed and her stringy hair
One time I asked her what dentists did on our way to the emergency room
I got lots of caffeine and plenty of sugar beginning even before my baby bottle

We traded head lice, boils, ringworm, impetigo and pink eye about the family
Santy claus was good to us cause Mom & Dad always bought us stuff instead of paying rent
We always liked playing on the clean marble down at the child support office
Sometimes I would visit mama working over to the Conoco

I often said I had finished my homework so I could go and play on the GameBoy
She had no pre-natal care and we did not get our vitamins and minerals
My first time in prison was a real eye-opening and educational experience
I played among the crumbs, dirt and dust on many housing project floors

Potato chips and sugar cookies kept me quiet and helped me get to be a big boy
The diabetes kicked in and took mother to the couch for good before she was 35
I dropped out of school, the army would not have me and I never learned to work
I could not feel the blows of others and goddamn how I loved to fight

I felt nothing from the hurt look in their eyes as I walked away
My teeth turned into rotten snags as my gums receded
I had a pin put in my leg after they tried to run me over
I got a cracked glass tattoo around the scar from a minor gunshot wound

Now, anything I want, that I can get my hands on, I just grab - without any of them regrets

No comments:

Post a Comment