Thursday, August 19, 2010

Detritus



I piece together unrelated parts of different fallen objects which I find upon the ground
Things from far above land all around me in the total darkness in which I abide
And I cannot sense the gentle rain falling on that calm surface miles above
My experiences compress each other into a mental sedimentary record

I grope for the importance of things which I stumble upon but cannot see
I filter a rich gruel of detritus well-mixed during its long descent to me
I can never escape the constant threat of heavy objects crashing down like meteors
I make a comfortable home inside large carcasses for years at a time

Prevailing winds deposit a rich sample of their contents upon my leeward side
I am washed into an eddy I circle as my thoughts are sorted into their proper levels
Our randomly-incessant noisemaking smears my musings from all directions
I wash up on the clean wet sand with the waves of yet another incoming tide

Briefly streaking through the atmosphere, I drift with a few starry molecules
I fall to earth with the thunder’s ozone in the soft shower beneath a rainbow
We descend at different speeds each wondering at the others whizzing by
We are adrift in a graceful Brownian Motion far removed from our own control

Falling at one of a thousand angles with a million silent snowflakes
Drying out where the storm deposited me far above the peaceful water line
Found where dark flood waters left me laying quietly in an impossible position
Dried to fine dust after a short journey across unquenchable desert sands

I am pocked like the moon with repeated random impacts by unidentified objects
Turned over as I lay with alluvial soil to receive the good seed of the farmer
Sticking with the wax that drips from their faithful candles flickering in dank chapels
Listening as unknown liquids trickle down to me in the depths of our great landfills

Fluttering with falling leaves so that I can be buried by them year after peaceful year
Compressed into a single blue layer deep within the vastness of an ice sheet
Dated absolutely by position in the growth rings of an ancient bristlecone pine
Orbiting based on my density in a planet’s ring after an interstellar collision

Tumbled to odd resting places with the giant boulders left by those retreating glaciers
Spreading out in graceful whorls in the jet contrails headed to vacation destinations
Diluted in pure air after escaping, only partially combusted, with your exhaust
Settling out peacefully in quiet sewage lagoons along with your contributions

Sorting into the dust that came before me even as new dust softly entombs me
Exposed once more after millennia to be covered again for another billion years
Gracefully piling up in that small hourglass that drains but once, for all of us

No comments:

Post a Comment