Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I signed the checks & credit cards


Went quite a long way but was not moving nearly fast enough to actually notice
Did not make a bazillion on the next financial fad like those Masters Of The Universe
Passing on my accumulated eco-debt thru to whatever dispossessed generations might follow
Did not file any patents or copyrights and no inventions are held in my name

Was unable to attain spiritual enlightenment or even enjoy any lasting peace of mind
Won’t find my name credited on any scientific research papers
Found it difficult to obey every order given by the great generals of the consumer field
Did not uncover any new and beautiful mathematical relations

Lost my senses and grew weak just like all those great ones from every field
Was not a member of the all-star team for many years in a row
But, I no longer remember their names just as well as they never heard of mine
Could not find it in me to produce even a single page of deathless prose

Signed the checks & credit cards and was OK always spending more than I earned
Held the spoonfed opinions of others quite strongly but never learned to think for myself
Walked with a proud independence as I navigated by the bobbing tails of the herd
Did not have a pop hit and then grow fat and doped up out in dusty-neon Las Vegas

Pretty sure I almost won the lotto at least once or twice
Was not ever elected to any office since I never had enough vanity to run
Had a couple surgeries that I would be happy to talk with you about for hours
Got a son who lives up by Portland and a daughter out in Phoenix

Did not save the bug-filled rainforest or protect whatever greasy salmon
Let the quiet lakes and rivers grow filthy, passing by them daily, on my way to work
Could not draw too much sustenance from my predigested holiday experiences
Wound up growing morally thin and drawn out on my half-baked and spoon-fed beliefs

Did not finish my masterpiece because I thought I kept on starting over
Never saw any great circle or felt some spirit in the sky from outside our modular
Once I took time to roll down the windows and smell the roses as we were driving by
Could not notice how, when I thought I paused, that I was still being swept right along

Appear to be finishing up now but I cannot step back far enough to really tell
That is, think I might be just awfully close to that Happily-Ever-After once again
Going to sum it all up and make my peace here in just a little while
Did not volunteer my time but I still like to think I most likely would have

Got no wisdom for my kids but they come sit by me sometimes, just the same
There’s that ex-wife out in Fresno and a brother in Denver who still hates my guts
They laid me off and defaulted on my pension so then I also pissed away all my 401K
But I’m making my peace and seeking forgiveness and just maybe I’ll get buried green

No comments:

Post a Comment